Friday, June 30

Facebook

I have just joined facebook, the great new online social network. The BBC wrote this article on it and I think that more than the article, reader's comments are more interesting. Its great to see some readers actually protest against this.

I got a message from my friend congratulating me(and himself) on being his 100th friend. Since when have we become so insecure in our relationships that we began to count our friends!!!!

Thank God I can count the number of friends I have on my hand. I probably have exactly 3 friends who despite knowing how stupid, annoying, kiddish I am would still be happy to call me their friend.

Is it really great to have 73 friends on facebook? Does my life become better because I am suddenly connected to 14,074 people by being part of the Oxford University Network? Do I have to write posts on Facebook for me to remain friends with someone or keep myself in their memory?

What happened to the good old fashioned meeting on the playground or a quick coffee or even better meeting after 5 years in the middle of nowhere? I fear for a world where people value each other on whether or not they belong to an online social network!!

Sorry for the rant..but it really does annoy me when people are amazed by the fact that you are not on FACEBOOK! Welcome to the new "face" of peer pressure...its no longer smoking or drugs or playing football but FACEBOOK!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha Ha!!

You succumbed to the Facebook horror and I didn't!!!

And now I know your blog I can check up on you....