Tuesday, June 28

Wimbledon Day 7,Second week

Haven't posted over the weekend as my little brother was here. I know he is a bit taller than I am but that does not mean I can't be older! This resentful tone is induced by my neighbour laughing when introducing B as my little brother. Ha Ha!!

Back to Wimbledon. Mirza went out despite fighting really hard and playing a great match on Center court. I have been told by "authoratative" sources who watched her play that she needs to work on her serve and fitness.
In today' s fourth round matches there were no upsets bar one. It seems amazing to me that most of the matches today were straight sets victories in both the mens and womens competition.
I dont know what has happened to mens tennis when we have only about three or four serious contenders for the title. Federer, Roddick, Safin and Hewitt????
Ancic, my great Wimbledon hope lost to the giant killer Lopez. I saw him play today and he has a lovely serve and volley game. A Spanish s and v player. Thats as rare as a week in the UK without rain.
Quarter final line -up :
Federer v Gonzales - Federer
Hewitt v Lopez - tough one, but would have to go with Hewitt esp after he beat Taylor Dent today in what was probably his best match at wimbledon this year.
Johansson v Nalbandian - Probably Nalbandian. I think Johansson will crack under pressure and Nalbandian is slightly craftier.
Roddick v Grosjean - Roddick

BTW, there are eight different nationalities represented in the quarters. Cool!
Its like Davis Cup!
So, A Federer -Doddick final looms large, again.

Women's :
Davenport ( who played a great match against Clijsters. She looks in good form. Please dont let Sharapova win) v Kuznetsova. - This has to be Davenport. I think she has too much experience and power for the Russian.
Mauresmo v Myskina - Mauresmo, who plays really when without any media pressure.
Pierce v Williams in the comeback game of the century. Two top players trying hard to rekindle their careers. Tough one to call. Just depends on who plays worse.
Sharapova v Petrova - Sharapova. I just realised that she even grunts when she serves. Alan Mills who retires this year is firmly against grunting and argues that if it is deliberate or distrubing should result in a penalty against the player. Sharapova's grunts are a 100db loud.
Thats like factory machinery or someone screaming in your ear. thats how loud it is!

Speaking purely from a health perpective, if you are exposed to 110db you must limit yorself to an exposure time of 1 minute and 29sec. Every women's tennis player is slowly going to go deaf if they play Sharapova in a five set match.

I am looking forward to the second Lions test. I predict the Lions will win by less than 10 points.

4 comments:

BeeDee said...

whatcha got against sharapova?? i thought u liked her legs last year?

BeeDee said...

hey u got 3/4 of the predictions right. johansson's win was quite an upset, but nalbandian was very out of sorts for some reason. don't know if johansson has the firepower to beat roddick though. hewitt-federer looks interesting- both are in ominous form. but i'm probably going to go with a federer-roddick, davenport-sharapova final. (top two seed..would be great finals then). let's see what happens...

Saranya said...

The only thing I have against Sharapova is that she grunts before she hits the ball and much louder and longer than a lot of people. She admits she doesn't like it but she never even tries to curb it.
On tennis terms, I believe she is very uni-dimensional. She hits the ball hard from both sides, but beyond that she doesn't have very much of a game. Venus finally showed her up in the semis consistently keeping her behind the baseline.When the roles were reversed, Sharapova didn't have a clue of what to do, looking at her coach after every point in a vain attempt to find an answer.

Saranya said...

I did like her legs, still do although the reason I liked her legs last year was because thats all I actually saw of her.