Thursday, January 26

Academic Apartheid

This notice issued by the Maharashtra HC is a very important subject and I am really glad that the judiciary has taken note of the issue.
Every year schools across the country divide their students depending on their academic abilities(see examination marks,not mensa quizzes). I first noticed this in Delhi. Delhi Public School(DPS) RK puram had 18 sections in their class XII from class A - R or something insane like that. Of course, you got into division A only if you secured really high marks in your class X exams. Then you are among the privileged bunch of kids who the school believes is destined to greater things,namely competitive Class XII final board exam marks.
I have always felt that it changes the pysche of a child quite drastically especially when he is 15 years old. I am not against competition in school. In fact I think it should be encouraged, fair competition is important. It binds students together and pushes them towards becoming better.

But, if I had a very close friend who suddenly moved up the academic ladder and got shifted into another section because teachers beleived that he is a better student than me, I might(at age 15) get some serious inferiority complexes. Of course, I am pretty sure that our friendship would go through some pretty rocky times.

These special "ability" section of kids get extra coaching to make them perform better and bring accolades to the school. This is serious discrimination. Why should anyone get more or less of the facilites that they pay for simply because they appear to be more intelligent? I have always thought it is a really unfair system and it needed to be impressed on school authorities that it should not be allowed.

I am really glad that someone has brought this to the notice of the relevant authorities and I can only hope that this judgement from the bombay HC echoes across the country.

"Education is one of the few things a person is willing to pay for and not get"


No comments: