Tuesday, June 12

Back Home!

Have not written for a while because of lots of things happening at the same time. Since my last blog, I have done very little writing, much packing and a moderate amount of analysis. The second week of June is a time which I shall find difficult to forget. Sunday flew by packing. Tuesday - the little one arrived and I had to go into lab for a quick chat with DW and my sorting experiment. Wednesday was the big day - I did my sorting experiment and although it did not go as planned or as I had expected, I am glad I still did it and I can take some pride in that. However, I could never have done the experiment without Mother's and Little One's help. These two stayed back in my room and finished packing all my books and clothes into cartons for shipping. I had almost nothing to do when I came back home. The two women baby-sitting me...
Thursday - I had meeting with AVSH and as most meetings go it was quite pointless. I did not get much out of it and was pretty much back to square one. I am quite keen to get my paper submitted but the boss seems intent on sitting on it. I cannot write my second paper because I don't really know what to say.
Thursday, I got two pieces of good news. I passed my Step 1 ( must mail G to let her know and to thank her) and also Little One's sister got a much coveted consultant post in Wolverhampton. Chiang Mai beckoned and lots of non-sweet and sour dishes were ordered much to the chagrin of the Sweet and Sour appreciation society numbering one.
I am going to miss my Tom Yum,Pad thai and Muscat when I leave. For some absurd and unknown reason, Chiang Mai has taken their muscat of the wine list and it annoyed and surprised me. We chose some awful French wine which was too sharp and tannic.
Friday - we called "The Consultant" and forced/cajoled her into coming to Oxford. I had my leaving do and Mother et al. were to attend. I was quite looking forward to saying goodbye to everyone and having the next couple of days to wrap things up and leave on Sunday.

Unfortunately, things did not quite work out the way we planned. I got a phone call from my only sister and somehow it put my leaving, USMLE and careers into perspective. We had to leave immediately for home and the whole of Friday morning was spent in completing packing and changing tickets. My day was turning out to be a disaster. I fell into the river while punting during my leaving do, my phone was wet and damaged, I was cold and close to catching a chill and I could not contact Mother and party. I also spent the whole trip punting with AVSH which was interesting if a bit stilted.

Anyway, caught flight next day early morning, reached Delhi midnight and broke news to concerned early morning next day. I can only hope that I am never again witness to such scenes.

Its Tuesday today and I still have been unable to write. I am finally sitting down now to start my thesis writing in earnest. If only the heat permits me...its 45 degrees in Delhi..its inhuman and only the A/C keeps me alive.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello love.

Sorry your (almost) last days in the Hill group will be remembered for all the wrong reasons. It's funny how these things happen all at once. It's also weird to think that you're sitting in India now!!

Missing you in the lab already. I saw your mug today and realised there was no point checking to see if it was warm...

Suppose we'll see you again soon, briefly! Although you'll have to let me know if I need to be in the lab at midnight...

Lx

Saranya said...

Hello,
I feel weird sitting in India and knowing that I wont see you everyday. I still have not come to terms with the fact that I am leaving Oxford. I am going to soooooo miss the group - It is very strange how you never realise how attached you are until you leave.

Don't know what I am going to do with my mug and what I am going to do everyday. Will definitely not miss the FGF but will probably have cloning and ELISPOT withdrawal.

Will definitely see you soon. Hope things in lab are going smoothly and your SOP count is in single figures :)

tc

ylimesnoyl said...

Hi Saranya,
It seems a bit voyueristic to leave you a message here so I hope you don't mind. I just wanted to say that even those of us (okay, me) who didn't know you so well already miss having you around.
Until our next 'tea time extending argument about the state of acadaemia'...
Keep well,
Emily