Thursday, July 19

25th June,2007 - American Arrival

I left Oxford and the UK today. Spent most of yesterday working in the lab, perhaps the last time I will spend a Sunday at the WTCHG in Lab 1 preparing my cells. Somehow, I never felt like I was leaving until I was up in the air flying over Canada when it struck me that I might never actually live in Oxford ever again.I was leaving home again. Oxford was my home for 4 years and I could not even think of living elsewhere.Life was comfortable, I had a purpose everyday,friends and knew where I could get whatever I wanted. I doubt whether I will ever find a more comfortable place to live in.

California and America - here I come. Lets see whether you can rival Oxford. I am and have been feeling really apprehensive about moving to the US. I suppose it is only normal when you are moving to a new place,but I never felt this reluctant when I came to oxford. On the whole, its time to move on, wanderer that I am,cannot allow those roots to settle down too deep. I suspect if I stayed another year in Oxford I would never have left the UK if not Oxford - and I could not see my future in Oxford.
So, I have left and I have arrived in America - in beautiful sunshine. Its 6pm Pacific Time and the sun is beating down on me. Can't wait to get my coat off and find a cab.

America is big, I cannot see a small taxi anywhere. All I can get into are shuttles, mini-vans. Its take me an hour to get a cab that is willing to take me to berkeley and another hour for the cabbie to find another person who will go in the same direction. I am so tired, its 6am in the morning on my body clock and I doze off in the cab. Suddenly I am at my hotel - and I crash.
Forget dinner, forget unpacking - just sleep. My first impressions of America is of a mexican cab driver,sunshine and HBO on my hotel TV! Whew!! My exhaustion is a blessing - as I fall into a dreamless,thoughtless stupor!

No comments: