Saturday, September 1

First week - the end

I am knackered! I don't think I have been this tired since writing my transfer report or doing my 7 day FACS experiment. On an entirely different note, my sorting experiment did not work..which is really annoying..damn!

I have been in class or a lecture for close to 35 hours this week..which is truly depressing. Next week is going to be better simply because Monday is a holiday and I have cut down on a lot of courses. I am only taking 16 units and auditing an advanced immunology class. After my first lecture, I realised that its probably going to be very useful to me considering that my knowledge of immunology is rudimentary to say the least.

We are forced to read about 150 - 200 pages of stuff almost every week, learn, understand and apply some pretty scary concepts. Added to this, is the number of assignments, papers,problem sets that is expected from us. Its ridiculous. Why do they have to work us so hard? I can see why American undergrads are so competitive, hyper and scary people. I also for the first time understand what is meant by "nerds"! We have one in my class... and you have to attend some of these classes to realise that this population of students don't really have anyother pursuit or interest in their life except to study.

Right, I have just spent the last four hours making minute changes to my figures. Its done and I am done for the week. Am off for dinner and a glass of chilled white.

1 comment:

BeeDee said...

so am curious. since u've taught undergrads and also been a grad in the UK, after week 1 how would u compare the american and british systems? is it fair to say that the american system involves more hand holding? anyway, enjoy ur weekend and the glass of the chilled white. see you soon :)