Sunday, August 14

Room shift

Once I got back from Berlin, I was faced with the uncomfortable and saddening task of shifting rooms. My room in college was the most lovely room I have ever lived in. Its a wood decor room, large spanking clean and with a lovely view of the college quad.
I have now shifted into University accommodation in this 1960's building which seems never to have been renovated or done up since. Its located in Wellington Square, which I have been informed by authoratative local sources (aka RR) was the first houses to have got hot water in 1860. Amongst these lovely 1860's houses on either side of this square you have this ghastly looking 1960's concrete block of rooms. I must admit I am very lucky to get a room facing the square as the other side of the block faces Little Clarendon street and often gets very noisy on Friday nights ( this is thanks to the Duke of Cambridge have long happy hours).

Facilities are ok, the corridors are poorly lighted, stink of plaster and remind me of Egyptian tombs -musty and decaying. Other than all this, its a lovely place to live in. Central location, surrounded by Jericho to the West, Gloucester Green to the South, St.Giles to the East and Woodstock to the north. So, its great to eat, watch movies but a fair distance from my lab.
Despite all this, I like the room. Its quite large even if it shaped like a square box. The cupboard consists of a alcove in the wall covered by a curtain. I do believe that I am treating this room unfairly comparing it to my previous room and criticising it at the drop of a hat.
In its favour and almost vital to my growing girth, G&D's ice cream is below me!! I spent the first day here consuming a "Purity and Danger" in the afternoon and then " Bailey's and Sweet cream" later in the day!!
Thats how I feel about my old room :

Homeward bound
I wish I was
Homeward bound
Home, where my thought’s escaping
Home, where my music’s playing

No comments: