Saturday, September 10

I am writing my report and today have finished it. Need to add an appendix, three pictures and I am done. I never realised how good Word was for writing theses. Its great at making up your table of contents and index. Endnote is another really good bibliographic program. I used Endnote today to reference my work and I finished it in about three hours. A job which would have taken me at least 10 hours if I did it without endnote.

Couldn't sleep, empty feeling. Watched X-men 2 with C, then Dead Poet's Society. Why did I never have an english teacher like Robin Williams? I think my present distaste and apathy towards poetry stems from the compulsion of learning passages from poems for Reference to context questions. The academic analysis of poetry, the unnecessary notes about why the poet used the word "ere" instead of before took so much from the pleasure of poetry, the music of poetry. The emotion, passion, angst,love which the poet expresses in five lines of the english language was lost in this mockery of poetry.

"We read poetry because we are the human civilisation. We have passion and that is why we read poetry", Mr. Keating.

I only wish I had someone when I was younger to read poetry to me like that.
Isn't this verse beautiful. I learnt the peom O Captain! My Captain but no one read it to me with emotion. Think of standing on that victorious deck waiting to get home after a year at sea, waiting for family, for food, for land only to have your captain, your leader, the one you love and admire dead at your feet.

O CAPTAIN! my Captain! our fearful trip is done;
The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won;
The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring:
But O heart! heart! heart! 5
O the bleeding drops of red,
Where on the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.

4 comments:

Bidi-K said...

Another great program for scientists is Canvas.

It saves many hours of fruitless labor if you are ever doing illustrations for a paper. Its way more intuitive and easier to use than Adobe Illustrator. Maybe you don't need it, and maybe this is worthless information at this stage or maybe you already know this, but I just thought I would pass some useful advice from one scientist to another, since I don't have anything better to do right now :)

Bidisha.

BeeDee said...

hey where did u get endnote from? my endnote seems to have gotten corrupted. i used cissie's CD last time. am wondering what to do, since endnote is sooooo expensive but completely invaluable.
ok, just a random comment. was reading ur blog this morning while drinking tea :)

Saranya said...

I have endnote on my computer at the lab. However, if you have a licence code I have the software. Any licence code will do, so if you could run Cissie's CD you must have had a licence code.
Dont buy it! There are lots of other softwares around as well. Presumably you could ask the rich University you are now a part of to buy it.

BeeDee said...

hmm the rich univ i attend, does not buy endnote for some reason. different departments do, but for some reason mine isn't one of them. ah well.
i don't remember what the licence code was...sadly.