Tuesday, February 8

Random Thoughts

Really dont have anything interesting to say. The weekend was rather boring and nothing really exciting happens to me on weekends. Played a bit of tennis and realised how out of shape I am.

Turned the clock back a few decades and rekindled teenage memories of romance and drama by watching "Jo jeeta Wohi Sikandar". If you watch movies today they are so slick and technology dependent. I dont think producers even make movies like Dil, Jo Jeeta, QSQT nowadays and that might reflect altered audience tastes. When I was a kid, soppy romatic melodramas with one bad guy and an uncomplicated story line was the norm. Today audiences want the glitz,glamour and the slick hollywood style hindi movies. Not that I am really complaining, I loved movies like Kaante, Company, Khakee which are really the same old story made better. I suspect that like me, the Indian audience has also matured.

I met up with this young friend of mine, who I had last met before Christmas. He had been to Cuba and his only comment of the place was that people there CAN REALLY DANCE! He also provided me with my first insight into how a divorce affects children. We were talking about girlfriends and marriage when he said something to the effect that its all rubbish. So we decided to point out 5 good things and 5 bad things about marriage.
His five points against marriage :
1. you get divorced
2. you hate each other
3. you scream at each other
4. you leave

Its frightening to see a kid say such things because it makes such an impact on their lives. It would be fantastic if he actually believes in healthy relationships, but I can only imagine the monumental effort he would have to make to actually practice and believe that.
This is my number one reason against divorce and bad marriages. You scar your children forever. My advice to couples : if you want to divorce, do it before you have children or after they have grown up.

Anyway, its good night for now. Have got a no from Rockefeller.
Have much else to write about next time. Rhodes Scholarship, WHO's mother initiative and Ellen MacArthur finally breaking the record.

Thought for the day :

Failure

BECAUSE God put His adamantine fate
Between my sullen heart and its desire,
I swore that I would burst the Iron Gate,
Rise up, and curse Him on His throne of fire.
Earth shuddered at my crown of blasphemy,
5

But Love was as a flame about my feet;
Proud up the Golden Stair I strode; and beat
Thrice on the Gate, and entered with a cry—
All the great courts were quiet in the sun,
And full of vacant echoes: moss had grown
10
Over the glassy pavement, and begun
To creep within the dusty council-halls.
An idle wind blew round an empty throne
And stirred the heavy curtains on the walls.

No comments: