Friday, July 7

irony

Its sadly ironical that while my mother is lying exhausted and sick on a hospital bed in Bombay with severe falciparum malaria, here I am 8000 miles away trying to find a vaccine for it. What a waste of time!!!

I am horribly frustrated at my abject helplessness in the situation. Its the only time in three years that I despair at not being a doctor anymore. I cant do anything, I barely know what treatment should be given, I have to read a textbook to remember the side-effects of drugs and the best treatment regime...whats the point of this PhD???

I live in the Ivory-towers of academic science shamefully elevated and distanced from reality, powerless to remedy or assist my own family; worse to be brought down from these lofted heights by the bite of the very parasite that I seek to eradicate!

No comments: