Saturday, July 15

Marathon Update - 106 DAYS TO GO!!

My Dublin Marathon is on the 29th of October and I have 106 days to go. I am following a training regime for 15 weeks advanced by Runners World to run a sub 4:30 marathon.
Today I have finished week 1 of the regime and had to run for 60 mins. I was barely able to run 50 minutes and that was using a run/walk method of running. I have no idea how I am going to run for 4 and a half hours. It was so hot that my feet were burning up. It reminds me of playing tennis in Delhi on the clay courts of MSVV, with temperatures close to 40 degrees.

When I start running my calf muslces hurt and so do my knees (thats because its the only time in their life they have had to carry a 68 kg weight) but slowly I no longer feel any pain. The real problem today was my stitch. I cant remember the last time I ran long enough to get a stitch, so in some ways I was pleased. I deal with a stitch by walking, having small sips of water and then running very slowly.

The only thing I can say is that my stamina has definitely improved. I can run for half an hour without any pain or trouble. What I do need is a watch, one of those cheap ones you get on the streets in India. The digital ones with a plastic black strap, casio make and having two buttons on the side. One to change the display to the stopwatch and the other to the date.

I shall hopefully blog everyday that I do run and keep you informed of my training progress.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

Wow! You're running a marathon!? :) You go! I'm excited for you, please do let me know how it goes. This Thursday I'm taking the GRE...yikes! I just finished studying a list of 3500 words we're all supposed to know if we've been to college...Saranya, I feel like I don't know any English, oh my gosh! But I'm sure it'll go okay. There's a few PhD's that start in January in the US that I'm going to apply to, and one in Northern Ireland. I'll keep you posted. Anyways, please take care and let me know how your Mother is doing. I hope fully recovered by now. Say hi to your brother too!

BeeDee said...

u want one of those cheap watches from here? shall be more than glad to be of assistance. how many should i get...half a dozen?? hehe. (just asking...given ur track record...which has after all, been previously discussed on this blog).

is the dublin one a full marathon? weren't u running a half marathon somewhere before that??

and if ur knees etc are hurting perhaps u're not wearing the right shoes..? i've been reliably informed by mr narang that apparently even when shoes don't get worn out, one can run in them only for some many miles and then they need replacement etc. u should get one of those fancy gait analysis things done. u can add that to ur repertoire of "cool" things you've been doing this summer!!