Monday, July 17

Rhodes XI vs Commonwealth XI - the result

I am well. I took a ball in my face yesterday while captaining the Rhodes XI against the Commonwealth Scholars. Coming in 3 down my first two balls against a quick leggie where played away. Next over I faced him, my third ball, his first of the over. Slightly overpitched and it was dispatched over midwicket for a huge six. Right from the meat of the bat.
Next ball, I knew he was going to pitch it short and I had pre-meditated a pull. There were only three overs left, so it was all or nothing. Ball bounced much higher than expected, it was a topspinner. I was into my shot, got the top edge and bang into my right eye. I knew it was bad.

There was this throbbing pain and I started walking off with my hand over my eye and both eyes closed.
All I heard were people's voices.

Cathering King," Don't worry. He's a doctor".
Karlee (canadian Rhodies),"And how does that help him?".

Fortunately, there were two more medics there. Both Rhodies who washed the wound and temporarily staunched the bleeding.

Catherine took me to the Hospital, where being a doctor provided me with some advantage in getting to the top of the queue. I had to persuade the doctor that to allow me to go quickly as I had to organise a BBQ later at Linacre.

I can see except for the swelling in my eye and some pain. Shall blog daily photos of the eye even if you dont want to see it!!

No comments: