Thursday, May 3

IT IS OVER

Its over. At precisely 14:49 today, I left the examination room after having accomplished the arduous task of attempting to sit in a chair for more than two hours continuously.

A minute by minute account of my day (for posterty and my pre-senile amnesia):
3:30 am - Appa's calls from HK - inadvertently waking me up half an hour earlier than planned.
3:45 - 4:25 - milky coffee assisted revision of the water excretory system.
4:25 - off to make Indian type chai(refer to earlier post for protocol) + sandwiches
4:40 - in attempt to pour chai into newly purchased 1L thermos flask, spill it over the sink.
4:42- chai leaks out of flask,spills over floor. This occurs when I tried proving that gravity exists by turning the flask upside down!! (Note to self - physics and sleep deprivation is BAD!)
5:30 - catch Oxford tube after the Bong Thing etc. is done.
Bus driver is being harassed by inebriated man asking for Liam ....
5:30 - 6:30 - bugs and other such undesirables are being memorised
6:30 - sleep hits me at Hillingdon. With thermos ready to slide off table ave to sleep hugging dear thermos.
7:45 - reach Pellipilar House to find that I am early as usual. Anyway, things are quickly soreted out - I am provided a locker to dump my bag, jacket and thermos and we are off.
8:13 - Exam begins..I am nervous,sweaty,hungry and sleepy. fortunately, catecholamines(adrenaline - just finished reading physiology,give me a chance to show off) come to the rescue.
9:50 - take my first break. A Cadbury's roll, quick swig of tea(which I now realised did not have enough sugar and was too dark),cold water splashed on face and back into the room.
The room is like an internet cafe. Multiple computer terminals separated by a hard high screen. This means that while you cannot actually see what the other person is doing, you can hear everyhting thats oing on in the room. Thankfully, they had the big earphones with big rubber pads which muffled the incessant typing of the guy sitting next to me. Of course, I must have been equally annoying to everyone else around me, swiveling my chair, stretching backwards and generally making tiny movements to stretch myself without actually getting up from the seat.
10:00 - Block 3 starts. This and block 2 were my worst blocks..probably got 50% of the questions wrong. Block 4 ok..not great and then pushed on for Block 5 which in hindsight was a poor decision. Very similar to Jayawardene delaying his powerplay - it backfired bigtime. Block 5 was a disaster. 2 hours sitting is ok..3 hours was about 59 minutes too much. By the tenth question, I could not wait to get out. My back hurt,my mind wandered to boston in the summer, SF in july, Napa valley..everything except the fungus causing erythema nodosum.
12: 50 - break no.2. half a sandwich(sundried tomatos and olives on houmous), two cups of yucky tea and a chocolate roll later, I felt half human again.
13:10 - Block 6 starts. I had to start the block by erasing all my previous doodlings from the erasable note paper using my finger. Of course, being a hyper secure testing center, we could not take any pens in and were supplied with these laminated sheets called erasable note paper and a couple of markers. I thought of using my hanky to wipe out my doodlings but decided against it considering clean handkerchiefs are always in short supply.
13:54- break before the last one. Focussing the mind..
13:58 - Block 7 - the last hurdle. I dont know the answers to first ten questions. So much for the final hurrah and a strong finish. Deflated, I potter on and complete the last block and question no.350!
14:49 - Emptiness engulfs me. What am I to do now? decide to call people up - everyone's phone is busy. Embankment and London, here I come. Shuffle on,Cat in my head and a glorious summer day...I walk all the way from Bank to Victoria doing a circle around St.Paul's while talking to Amma.
16:15 - On the Oxford tube and wowing Little One by using the bus' wireless. Plans for the evening. 10 year oldWarre's,tofu and rice(Cafe Orient). and PGW...escape to Blandings!

No comments: