Sunday, May 20

Scrivening Day 5 - update

Have spent a continuous three hours in front of the computer and finished my introduction and M&M. So, now the only thing left to do is to reference my discussion, polish my figures and then go through the whole paper once before I give it to people to read tomorrow. Right now am off to get some excercise - cricket nets. Then head to the lab and work there till I finish all this work.
Must also plan my next paper and chapter 5 (heterologous prime boost immunisation). I really do want to write this chapter and paper up by the end of this week.
People say thats it really hard to write  a paper in a week, but I am going to have to prove them wrong. I reckon if I spend a day getting all my figures together,another day writing up the results, two days writing discussion and introduction, I should have it ready by the end of the week for a first review.

Right off to play now.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

you can do a paper in a week...just no more "you tubing," blogging, cricket breaks...and oh, lots and lots of caffiene! :) good luck! i start field work monday, and my supervisor has already informed me that she expects me to have a publishable paper by the end of the summer! yikes! anyways, i'm sure you can do it. i wrote up my senior thesis in a week...i used the tried and tested chocolate reward method ;) write up results, have choco bar...write up part of discussion, have brownie...and so on. It really is rewarding and the sugar keeps you up. It also helped that there was a coffee shop nearby that had just opened and had a special on chai tea smoothies, very nice! so extra special rewards: finish intro, chai smoothie, etc. :)

I recommend your regimen to be as follows:
1) finish figures/tables and graphs: eat 1 small royal dark cadbury's bar
2)Write up results; treat yourself to a hazelnut/choco cadbury's bar (you have to build it up to make it more exciting)
3) Write up discussion (break it up with a Ben's cookie); when you finish, get some G&D's Bailey's and Sweet Cream!
4)For the M&M's, that's always the most tedious section, I'd say break it up with G&D's Kenya AA ice cream and a brownie.
5) Intro and final touches, buy yourself a yummy cake from M&S and celebrate (even if it is a party of 1) ;)


anyways, i'm killing time in panera (another wonder of academic life -- coffee & free internet). hence the long post ;) i'll write again soon about how my first day goes out in the woods!

OH! My parents interviewed for a new job in North Carolina last week and accepted the offer and they are moving in July! They'll be about 4-5 hours from me now, doing something similar with teenage boys. My brother shipped out yesterday for his 7 month tour of duty with the Navy. He's going to North Africa/Mediterranean Sea. Cait's doing her Psych rotation now and says it's 'interesting.'

i'm chatty because it's a bit lonely here :) but i've starting meeting new people, and i'm sure once i get to work, i'll make good friends. (i think i sound more like my old self rather than the new 'mature' me you met in boston)

you take care, good luck on the paper and writing up that thesis...you can do it!!

p.s. is Kiddo coming to NYC?