Wednesday, August 15

Drinking

I have spent the whole day in front of a computer screen trying to find a research idea for my masters thesis. I have several ideas and today was working on HIV and malaria interaction. Phew..hard work especially trying to be creative. I wonder how people keep thinking of new stuff to come up with.

I noticed that I have not written anything about the US, berkeley and first impressions. I kept hoping that I would find time to do it and write a day by day account, but things have gone too quickly. So, I shall now bitch and whine about random stuff and daily experiences.

So, I spent my last day hanging out in an "American pub" called the Albatross which was actually quite nice with some friends from class. Its quite a comfy pub with lots of board games which 27 year olds like me decided to indulge in. Anyway, this is not the point.
I found one of my comrades was drinking Jack Daniels and DIET COKE! I did not quite get the rationale behind this. I would like to be fit and not die of strokes, CHD and the diet coke balances for the fact that I am having whisky which might kill my liver. Of course, this overlooks the fact that the man decided to pollute whisky (even blended stuff) with a carbonated drink!

As I understand it, this is a popular drink in the US. hmmmppfff.. I shall act as whisky snob.

On a personal note, I am drinking more beer than I ever have. There are only a couple of places in berkeley which have a beer garden and you can enjoy the sun and a leisurely drink. All the places are breweries and serve a good selection of beers but never a G&T or a nip of single malt. So, I have actually had more beer in these six weeks than I have ever had in 4 years in the UK. Just goes to show you what circumstance can do. I also am beginning to enjoy it and wish I was able to spend more time with MC at the Butcher's. I might have learnt something! oh..I do miss the Butchers, purely for sentimental reasons.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We miss you at the Butchers too.

Do they have any Burton beers in SF?!