Saturday, August 18

MotD

For the first time in two years, my saturday and sunday nights are not going to be taken up by Adrian Chiles, Gary Lineker, Alan Hansen, Mark Lawrenson and Alan Shearer. I am not going to be able to spend the evening having dinner (mostly chips and cheese with chilli sauce and mayo) and glued to the TV for an hour and a half or so watching MotD. For those philistines among you who do not know or scorn MotD, I pity you. For you are missing out on the the best part of being in the UK...the BBC and probably what is its best sports program. I loved MotD (sorry..Match of the Day) and would in fact break of all social engagements for the programme. I think its a combination of watching football combined with great presentation and insightful analysis that drew me to the program. After about a couple of programs, I was hooked. I used to have withdrawal syndromes if I couldn't hear Lineker's voice, Hansen's sarcasm and Lawrenson's accented opinion. I did not like Shearer that much because I suspected he was trying to be impartial and inoffensive unlike the other two who were quite opinionated.

Anyway, now I have to keep up with the BPL via internet and it is definitely not fun. I hated Adrian Chiles, very annoying nasal voice and slighltly obnoxious but loved MotD 2's "Two up Two Down" . Here,football is soccer and I don't watch but play. Still, I miss MotD. I cannot remember the number of times I have hurried a pleasant dinner with the Little One to be back home before 10:30pm. I think she began to get addicted as well. The worst time was when BPL finished and suddenly my weekend evenings were empty. Thats how they are now...and I have no intention of substituting MotD with Saturday night Live!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to watch Match of the Day quite a lot. It's strange how I'm not that fussed about football, but it is good! Mind you, I may be trying to find a telly this afternoon that's showing the Burton Albion vs. Oxford Utd match!!
C'mon the Brewers!

BeeDee said...

i watched man city versus man u today. really poor show from man u. tevez missed an absolute sitter at the end. then watched liverpool/chelsea. liv should have won that easily- personally i don't think the chelsea penalty was fair. i'm watching a LOT of EPL because star sports and ESPN telecast it. in sept when i'm in berkeley there's going to be the rugby WC, the twenty20 WC and the US Open. aaarrggghh.

BeeDee said...

oh, u know. there's something called a TVU player or a TUV player or something. google for it. you can use it to watch star sports/ESPN's indian variants. you could watch your EPL that way...

Saranya said...

Laura,
All the best to the Brewers, although I must support the boys in yellow purely out of residential loyalty!

Saranya said...

I dont think I can actually watch an entire football game unless it is a big match. But I would watch MotD just as a ritual rather than necessarily following the EPL.