Tuesday, August 14

Tea issues again

I spent an inordinate amount of time in the past trying to get the right tea brewing procedure and I got lots of advice.
Now LA has sent me this BBC recipe for making masala chai. This Anjum Anand lady obviously has not made a cup of tea in the hostel has she? Issues I have with this procedure:

1. She uses a tea bag!! Eeks..sin committed, I don't know whether I should go on further.
2. Then, she uses 10 pods of cardomom for one cup of tea. Is she making tea or rasam?
3. She says adding salt is optional! Have you ever in your life heard of anyone who makes tea by adding salt? what was she thinking when she wrote this?
4. It takes her 15 minutes to cook the milk for tea? My god..can you imagine boiling ginger, fennel, cardamom, cinnamon for 15 minutes - there is a chance in hell that you will ever be able to taste the tea.You probably are having masala milk or masala water.

So, I hope you will not use this recipe to make tea or else at least make sure you call it "hot jal jeera"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't READ the recipe fully (salt in tea?!!), I just thought 'ooh, Saranya was spending a lot of time trying to perfect his tea making skill'!! I'll possibly do more research next time before I send you crap.
Salt? Tea? Do you think the Danes would ever try that? They do have salt liquorice...

Saranya said...

I love reading recipes. Although I dont usually read them properly until I have to follow them. I was planning to follow this one and saw the salt!
You would have to ask RA,K or A(finnish one) about whether they have ever tried putting salt liquorice in their tea!

Arturo Reyes-Sandoval said...

Hi Tootles,
nice to read about you and see that you are doing fine, despite missing the U.K.
Your blog is quite interesting!
Now that you are in California you can start looking for good recipes of mexican food. I reckon it is very common over there.
Can't wait to read your experiences when going to a seven eleven to buy a large cup of coffee! I mean... a large one.

Saranya said...

Mexican food. I love mexican food. My first week I spent only eating burrito (rice and beans only because of veggie restrictions) and quesadilla! However, people say that what they give here is not true mexican food because it is less greasy and if I really want proper mexican food, I should go to LA or Mexico city.
Sorry for not mailing yet! hope you came out of the parvovirus experience without too much scarring. Say hi to the little kid for me.

Arturo Reyes-Sandoval said...

You are right, the food -in this case the mexican, but I'm sure it applies to all- will never be like the one made in the original country. Just avoid the commercial one and finding a good place might deserve further search in smaller towns in California.
The flour tortillas you once tried from Abby were made with lard!. Few people nowadays would dare to eat lard, but to the delight of my wife the Brits still sell it in the supermarket in a more refined version of the one from Mexico, where people buy with a butcher who prepares it in a curious way.