Friday, August 10

The Sydney Morning Herald Blogs: Entertainment

The Sydney Morning Herald Blogs: Entertainment

This is an incredible story. I love small book shops and small publishers. They give a chance to unknown authors and I love spending time in random small niche bookstores because you can often find the most interesting stuff in them.

I am glad someone is willing to stand up and take a stand against these big monopolising book stores. I must admit I miss Blackwells and have yet to find a bookstore in Berkeley where I can sit with a coffee and spend the day either people watching or my head deep in a fascinating book. I remember finishing (almost) "the Ayrton Senna Story" and getting hooked onto the Philip Pullman Lyra Trilogy in Blackwells. I also remember studying for my PLAB exam in Blackwells every Sunday while sipping a coffee,tea and polishing off some lovely chocolate cake. I cannot imagine the day when we no longer have bookstores and amazon or internet book buying takes over, I suspect my weekends will be spent shriveled up in front of a computer instead of enjoying a refreshing cup of tea in a bookshop.

Can you imagine Bombay without Fountain pavement book sellers? or Delhi without Daryaganj? or London without Charring Cross?
Thank you Mr. Rakusin

2 comments:

BeeDee said...

hello hello. had NO idea you were updating your blog. btw i am speechless, i.e. i have completely lost my voice. i can barely squeak. but squeak i shall- and lodge a protest. you did NOT finish the ayrton senna story in the bookshop. u only read a few chapters, and you were threatening to spend the entire summer there until i had to intervene and actually buy the damn book.

Saranya said...

that was just to make you feel happy. I had finished half the book :) and you got really annoyed that I spent more time in Blackwell's than at home. and it did not take me an entire summer, it took me less than a week.